Sunday, May 25, 2008

In The Beginning

I was diagnosis with rheumatoid arthritis three years ago. My hip was hurting me and I was running a fever on and off for a month. After running a fever of 102.8 on May 19 morning my mother called the primary care physician to get an appointment. She ran a mono test to see if I had mono but it was negative. She recommended that I go the the Cleveland Clinic to figure out what was going on. Our personal thought was that it was a joint infection in the hip. I was admitted to the hospital May 19 around the evening time. While we were in the emergency room they took four glass bottles that were a little smaller than Red Bull energy drink cans. These were to see if I had an infection in my blood. This made me very nervous because just because of how long it took it usually takes maybe one to two minutes to draw the blood. This took at least three to four minutes. Which made me uncomfortable just because of how long it took to draw the blood. Tuesday May 20 I had to wait all day to go to the MRI I ended up going to it around 6 pm. The next morning Wednesday May 21 it was unusual the doctors didn't come until about 11 am I always saw at least one doctor by at least by 9 am. So when the doctors asked me to come to a small room with my mother I was a little concerned. They said they saw a mass in the MRI which could be an infection but most likely it was cancerous. We were both really shocked I really didn't take in what else they said. My mom ended up calling my bother and my dad to come to the Clinic. A couple hours later I went to have a biopsy the biopsy was done with a big needle which was the size of a regular bendy straw, they then bent it over to suck out the tissue. They did this four times, but thankfully they gave me some stuff to settle me down other wise I wouldn't have been able to be still. This was all they Wednesday. The next day Thursday May 22 they sent me for an X-ray of my whole leg and another CAT scan. Friday May 23 they did a PET scan to see what is growing and where it is growing at. They saw the main mass in my leg they then said they also saw a small spot in my lung and a 2 centimeter mass by my kidney. Right before I was discharged I had to drink some nasty stuff to fill the GI tract to look at in the CAT scan. I was finally able to leave the hospital at 6:30 pm Friday.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Hi Kevin,

Awesome blog! Well the story isn't so great just the author! :) Keep us posted as much as you want, as many times a day as you want. I'll keep checking here even at work to see what you're up to. Take care.

Love,
Mike

rringenb11 said...

We are thinking about you over here in Indiana!

Unknown said...

Hey. Kevin, keep putting all the details in here. One day you will look back on this blog in rememberance of your journey to remission and ultimate victory. You are really very brave. Thank you for being an ecouragement to others.
pwn them,
Marcus.

Kristin said...

Dear Kevin,

I got the link to your blog from your brother on tudiabetes.com.

Just wanted to let you know that you are close in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad to know that you have a loving and supportive family to help you get through the struggles ahead. Although there is no doubt that this will be a hard road, know that you are not alone-- people around the world are praying for you!

For some inspiration, check out David M. Bailey- He has an inspiring story.

Best wishes,
Kristin

Kim said...

Great blog Kev! See you soon!

Love,
Kim